In the second of our two-part series on keeping your house safe from pests this rainy Northern California season, we go into detail on inexpensive, easy maintenance projects that can keep your home warm, cozy, and pest-free all autumn and winter. With a few hours time and a trip to the hardware store, the upcoming holiday season will come with one less thing to stress over.
- Many pests, like mosquitoes, breed in wet and murky places. Clear out gutters and ensure proper drainage to prevent them.
- Keep shrubbery and gardens trimmed and tidy. This will make these places less appealing to pests such as rats, raccoons, and possums.
- Keep pests and the chilly weather out with repaired mortar in basement foundation and new weatherstripping around windows.
- Maintain at least 20 feet of distance between the perimeter of your home and the storage of firewood – a common hiding place for numerous pests.
- Don’t let moisture develop in your crawl spaces, attics, and basements, even in moist weather. Use a dehumidifier to ensure proper ventilation and dry spaces.